Sunday, July 24, 2016

Three Dates in One Week!

Jim emailed me Tuesday and asked if I would be his date for a church coed softball double-header.  I accepted even though I knew this meant he would sit in the dugout keeping score and I would be on the bleachers.  The team won both games and it was a good evening cheering for the team.

Then on Thursday Jim asked if I would walk along with him for nine holes at the Warren Golf Course.  I suggested a cart but was convinced walking would be good for us. My role was to stand behind Jim when he was at the tee or on the fairway so that I could help him spot the ball. However, I admit I was often distracted from my wifely support role by looking for stray golf balls--or even checking my iphone. We were both incredibly hot and sweaty at the end of nine holes so a DQ treat tasted great.

Last, but definitely not least, we took the South Shore train to Chicago Friday afternoon with the purpose of treating one of Jim's PhD graduates for dinner.  We stayed at the Four-star Blackstone Renaissance Hotel at a reduced rate thanks to Hotwire.    We walked up Michigan Avenue to the Art Institute where Jim was my member guest for "America after the Fall: Painting in the 1930s."   We saw some iconic works by Edward Hopper and Grant Wood and others that were less familiar.

I used my Uber app succesfully for the first time on my own and we made our way to Pork Chop in Hyde Park for supper with Jonathan, Christine, and baby Avery.  An Uber ride back to the hotel was followed by a walk to Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park and a good night of sleep after 14,000 plus steps in the heat and humidity. Even the noise from the ever present El didn't bother me!

The next morning we had another very hot walk to our 10 am Architecture Tour on the Chicago River.   I had done the tour several years ago and was eager to share it with Jim.  He agreed that the tour gives you  amazing views of the skyscrapers that you don't get from walking down the streets.

We were happy to sit in the air conditioned Millennium Station for an hour waiting for our 1:35 pm train back to South Bend.  A $26 dollar round trip charge for two seniors was a great deal.

 No plans this week for any dates.  But who knows what will come up in the life of two retirees?

No comments:

Post a Comment