Friday, October 6, 2017

New Glasses

In July 2016 I got a prescription for new glasses.  I shopped for frames several times and could not make up my mind.  As the months went on,  I decided I might as well wait for a year and get another prescription.

September 2017--I kept losing my glasses because I had to take them off to read--or to eat--or cook-or to do anything close by.  And then I couldn't see well enough to find them!  So it was back to Troy, our optometrist, for another exam.  My prescription had changed with less strength needed for distance so that would make a difference for the close work too.

I hate buying glasses.  I hate making that major decision.  But I made myself go to Eye-Sight, a place recommended by Dana, the stylish director of the local library where I volunteer.   The salesperson and I pulled out several pairs of glasses and decided on the very first pair we looked at.  I asked them to take a photo and  said that I would go home,  think about it and bring in my prescription later.

They were great salespeople!  They told me they could get my prescription faxed.  They did not take insurance but could knock off 20%.  I told them to go ahead.

Yesterday I picked up my new glasses.  The good news is that I can see better.  I keep reaching to take them off to read, to eat, to look at my cell phone--but I don't have to do that.  I can see very well.  The bad news is that I don't think I like the way I look.    I feel as if I look too old in them.

This morning I told my walking friend that I wasn't sure about them.   She looked at me and said they were a bit severe.  Severe!   I wish she had lied and said they looked great!

So what shall I do about this dilemma?  Troy says that my cataracts are bad enough for Medicare to pay for surgery.  Then I would not need any glasses!  But I am not eager for surgery.  I could buy a cheap and fun pair at Wal-Mart for when I want to be more upbeat. However,  I paid far too much for these already. Or I can just get used to these and be thankful that I can see so well and stop being so vain.

I told Jim I will just have to smile a lot so that I don't look too severe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment