Monday, November 20, 2017

November Travel--Part II-Boston

We boarded Amtrak 172 at 11 am on Friday at Penn Station along with a mass of travellers funneling into one escalator.  Fortunately we were able to find two seats together and the four hour trip went quickly and smoothly.  Our iphone map instructions were confusing  when we exited the station.   We followed the blue line and were very happy to see the last letters of the big HILTON sign ahead.
Later after wandering and trying to follow our iphone suggestions, we fond Legal Sea Foods and had a wonderful dinner. We reminisced about the old Legal Sea Foods in Ianman Square.  It has definitely gone upscale from those days.  Again we did some wandering to find the Hilton but we're back in the hotel.

I am not good about hotel noises.  Tonight it's the elevator across the hall but still loud and very busy.  Ear plugs should help!
--------------
That was a rough night.   In the morning, I was so bold as to ask for a different room.  The clerk was very kind about it (I was amused that she called me "Miss Mary" just like my former students!) and put us into a quiet corner room.

We didn't do much all day. We met an old friend to chat and later met one of Jim's colleagues for drinks and a snack.  We watched Notre Dame beat Navy--not as easily as they were supposed to do.  We didn't need a big meal and so we had the great idea of going to Star Market where we picked up enough fried chicken, salad, and fruit for two days--along with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for Jim.  Good thing we are not "foodies!"

 The new room gave me a great night of sleep.  Jim had an early am breakfast meeting.  I went to the 9:30 mass at St. Cecilia's Church right next door.  The music was lovely and the priest had a good message on the parable of the talents.

Holden Green
We met with another old friend--a former graduate student--for a chat,  Jim went off to another meeting and I summoned my courage and called for Lyft to take me to Harvard Square.  It went smoothly enough and I had my sentimental journey through Harvard Yard.  I climbed the steps to Widener Library where I worked for Folklore and Mythology for a year.  I walked up to Memorial Church where we often worshipped.  I walked to Holden Green, our home for three years.  It was still there and the memories of the families that lived in each unit came back quickly.  I had a big lump in my throat!

  Savenors, the corner grocery where Mrs. Savenor sat on her stool by the cash register and Julia Child sightings were recorded, was still there too--but as an upscale butcher.
Van Gogh's Three Pairs of Shoes
I walked back to the Harvard Art Museum--the Fogg--and enjoyed touring the main floor exhibits.  I treated myself to a cup of decaf espresso--turned into Cafe Americano- and a muffin and then took Lyft back to the hotel.  That driver couldn't stop talking but I still rated her five stars.

I had some quiet time in the room while Jim was at another meeting.. We ate our leftovers from the day before and then walked to the Notre Dame reception which is always hot and noisy and full of folks to talk to.  I managed to stay the whole time even if I went out into the hall a few times for some air!

It was a long walk through passageways and malls back to the hotel.  I had a craving for something sweet which was not available at the reception.  So it was a Dunkin Donuts treat--perfect--and then eventually another good night of sleep.

We are now on the Amtrak from the Back Bay Station to Philly--a 5 1/2 hour ride with dubious internet connections.  Ready for Phase III of our trip--time with Laura's family in Gladwyne.


1 comment:

  1. I love that you took pics of your food, too! It's always one of the most important parts of a trip for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete