Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Cataracts, Part 2

I really dreaded going back to Unity Hospital for the second try for cataract removal on my right eye.  I would lie awake thinking how I was going to be assertive and refuse any medication or eye drops until I was reassured that they had the right implant for me. I was embarrassed that I was as angry and confused as I was after the aborted surgery.

I prayed about it but did not have much peace about the whole procedure.  Yet I felt I had to go through with it again and didn't want to start over with anyone else.   On the night before surgery Jim called me into the three season room, set me down and said he had something to say--that he would be the one to tell the staff not to proceed with anything until we had reassurance.  I figured that was my answer to prayer--that Jim took over for me.

And he did the next morning.  Supposedly the error had never happened before and the protocol at the hospital has been changed.  The doctor reassured us, the staff all knew what had happened, (everyone said, "So you were the one") and we went ahead with the surgery.  The preparation was easy enough.  During surgery I was aware of lights and shapes in my vision, but I really don't remember much of it or the recovery counseling.

Once again, Jim got us Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee on the way home.  I was expecting to be able to see out of my eye afterwards because Jim was able to do so and so was my sister.  But I could see nothing but tan and brown blobs--no vision at all. After a while I thought I could see light at the windows.  A few hours later I thought I could see my hand in front of my face.  This frightened me so I called the office and was told it was because of the antibiotic shot I was given.  No one had warned of this side effect and if they had done so, it could have saved me some real concern. 

The doctor called that evening and said some folks could see right away and for others it took 24 hours because of where the medication ended up in the eye.  At least that is the way I understood it.  I have a follow-up appointment with a doctor Jim has seen often and really appreciates--I am going to clarify that with him tomorrow.

My eye sight is good enough now although there are still auras around light.  The floaters are almost gone and the pain is gone--it wasn't severe but I was aware that eye movement caused pain.

I think I will enjoy going without glasses--especially when I can use some make-up again around my eyes.  I've tried on reading glasses at CVS and they seem to work fine.  I chuckled to see that there were cheap ones in packs of three.  I know it will be easy to lose them.

It is strange to go without glasses. I've worn glasses or contacts since 5th grade.  I am used to taking my glasses off to relax or sleep and that signal is gone.  When I drive I wear glasses with the right lens poked out.

For a few days, I was not myself.  Food and drink had no appeal the day of surgery.  I haven't felt much like reading or writing a blog or in my journals.  I can't do yard work or much house work because I shouldn't bend over.  But all of this is getting better and so I am writing tonight.

I have been thankful for my children's concern expressed through texts and phone calls.  My friends have been very supportive--friends from church and even my Goodreads pen pal from the state of Washington.  Jim has been very kind even when I have to ask him to pick up stuff from the floor or from the dishwasher or dryer.

One more week and we go through all of this again.  I will be very glad to have all of this behind me and ready to leave on our October trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment