Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Contract is Signed

Faith Fleming spent some time with us yesterday morning going over the contract for selling our house--which we signed electronically on our iPhones.  She walked through the house and thought we had done a great job of "staging" or in other words, "purging." 

A table looking unusually clear!
Tomorrow the photographer will come and Saturday the house will go on the market.  The lock box is on the door.

I emailed the family yesterday afternoon and got responses from Susan and Michael immediately and Alex shortly after.  I was amused that it was the spouses and friend who were the first to give us positive feedback on this move!  But then Laura also emailed and eventually Jeff and Dan as well.  I am grateful that we can feel welcomed by them.  I am sure we won't be helicopter parents and grandparents!

Once again I checked apartments in Princeton.  The Avalon which would be the most convenient but has only 2 bedroom apartments actually has nothing available right now.    The Copperwood which is close to Jeff and Susan's has only 2 bedroom apartments also and is in a lovely wooded setting.  However, in Princeton Junction across Route 1 and congested traffic, there are several complexes with 3 bedroom apartments for less money.  It will be a decision between space and location.  Space would mean keeping the piano and lots more books.  But it would also mean giving up a goal of being able to walk to stores, church, libraries, and the university.

I felt quite emotional about the whole decision last night.  It means a big change;  I am trying to think of it as an adventure.  I know I want to be closer to our children and grandchildren.  The time will come when we will not just want but need to be closer to them.

And it occurred to me that every move we have made in the last 51 years has been because of Jim's education or career.  This was a move I instigated and he has agreed to but with some reluctance.  We both feel that we are ready to rent and no longer be responsible for home ownership.

 I know we can be happy elsewhere.  I envision being more a part of our grandchildren's lives.  I can see more train trips to New York City to see Dan and Alex.  We already have good friends in Princeton, the Moorheads,  who will welcome us.  Jim has colleagues at Princeton--one of whom is coming here for a colloquium honoring him later this month.  We are certainly familiar with the town and environs.  We will need to find a good place to worship--and good doctors.  It may take a year or so.  It took a year to adjust to our life in Raleigh and in South Bend as well.

We won't lose touch with family and friends here thanks to texting, emailing, and Facebook.

  I hope someone will really want our house and would be happy in it--and that this is all settled very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment