Saturday, August 3, 2019

What I miss...

One of the lectionary psalms this week was Psalm 84 which starts "How lovely is your dwelling place..."  and as I read it, I had a pang of homesickness for our church in South Bend.  I liked walking into the empty sanctuary when I went to practice the organ.  I liked the calm and welcoming space.  I sometimes sat in the pew and prayed for myself, our family, and those who worshiped there.

One night this week I lay awake from 1:30 to 3:30.  I got up and looked outside.  I wanted to see my neighbors' homes on Deerfield Loop--the Walshes, the Koldas, the Konjathys.  But instead I saw cars and apartments; I don't know who lives there and I might never know who lives there.

We watched the Cubs a few times this week on MLB Network.  I missed My Michiana and JD and Len announcing the game.  I missed their quiet repartee and their love of the Cubs.  I even missed some of the awful local commercials.

I miss my special spot in the backyard at Deerfield Loop where I sat in the chaise lounge and looked up at the trees overhead.  I am thankful that we look out on trees from our apartment windows but my lounge is on our little deck which faces the garages of our neighbors.  I can look up at the sky however!

Yes, I do miss South Bend friends but we continue to have contact through email and Facebook and I am grateful for that.

And truly, it has been such a joy to be with our children and grandchildren here.  Katie is home for a month before her senior year at Duke and Jim and I took her out for breakfast.  Yesterday she joined us on a trip to see eight-year-old Ruth in her theater camp play. Ruth beamed with delight when she saw that Katie had come to her performance.  Tonight we are joining Jeff and Susan and Michael for supper--about a once-a-week occurrence.

This will become home too.  It becomes more so every day.  We walk in from the heat of outside and it is cool and comfortable.  Yesterday the missing sea glass bottle collection showed up and is now in the kitchen window.  I will buy a planter for outside the front door that will welcome us with color.  It's been just a bit over two weeks since we moved in and that is really a very short time for adjusting to a new way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment