Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Grandson Visits

I haven't blogged for a while.   Life has been so routine that there is nothing to write about really.   Once Jeff said to me, "Mom feels a blog coming on."   Well, I have felt no blogs coming on recently.  But this weekend was a break in the routine when Sam came to visit.

A significant observation for me was Sunday afternoon when I was sitting on the couch and glanced at the clock which was only partly visible.  I thought it said 12:57 which made me think that time was dragging.   I got up and looked again and it was 2:57!  Time was flying by!   What a difference it made to have another person in the house with more to fill the hours!

We drove out to Gladwyne to pick Sam up at lunchtime on Saturday.   He kept up a steady flow of chatter for the full hour ride back to the apartment--mostly about video games.   It was a glimpse into his life!   Later in the afternoon Jim and he played catch--a welcome opportunity for Jim that he doesn't often get.  I got groceries on my own thinking that it was best not to expose Sam to what begins to seem a risky trip to the store.  Jim and he watched some golf--the first live sports in a long time.  Sam thought it was pretty boring.   Sam helped me make shortcake--an easy recipe from Jiffy mix.  We had burgers for supper and shortcake for dessert. We watched Shakespeare and Hathaway with the stipulation that if it got too weird Sam would be excused or we would turn it off.  It was weird but not too violent or gory at least.

Sam seemed to sleep well--even if he did have a question about whether it was a girl's room.  Yes, the furniture was his mother's originally but not the bed and it was not all in pink at least.


Breakfast was our usual boiled eggs and sweets.   We all watched the Nassau Church service from the website.  Dr. Davis's sermon was on Moses and the midwives and Pharaoh's daughter who spared his life.  He related it to the racial crises we are experiencing.   When I looked in the closet for our Scrabble game, I found the Brick Bible, a gift from the Princeton VKs a few years ago.  I pulled it out for Sam and to our delight, the story of Moses as a baby was there.   Jim and he looked at it.  I posted a photo of them on Facebook which got a lot of comments!   To my delight later, Sam spent a lot of time afterwards reading Scripture--Lego people style. 

Sam and I played Scrabble and he beat me by 30 points.   I gave him a bit of direction a few times, but I played to win and I didn't! 

We walked to the towpath along the canal and then through the fields home.  Supper was a pizza picnic with Jeff and Susan, James and Michael using a table near the roped off playground.

Sam was very uncertain about the decision to get picked up after supper or in the morning.  He asked several times if we had plans for the morning and we didn't--except for Jim's blood work appointment.   I felt that he might want to go home but not hurt our feelings so I made the decision and Michael picked him up around 7:30 pm.   We were so bold as to hug him good-bye--no social distancing.

Now, who will be the next to visit?  Jasper had been asking when he could come but when it was nearing the weekend, he had second thoughts for "complicated" reasons, said Laura.  So Sam was "gung ho" to come, she said.   Ruth thought it best to wait and have someone else tell her how it went.  And Alex had been here last fall.  Henry?  If only someone besides Laura could be his source of nourishment, he would be a joy to have but not for the present time at least.   Jasper is wanting to reschedule and Laura said Sam said he had a good time so maybe Ruth will be willing to come as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment