Monday, July 19, 2021

Philadelphia Jazz Orchestra and Michael

 Last night we drove to Pettoranello Gardens, took almost the last parking spot in the lot, and walked to the outdoor ampitheater.  We met Jeff and Susan and found seats next to them.  Within a very short time, the concert began.  The weather was perfect with a cool breeze.  The concert was postponed from the previous night for good reason because there was a dramatic thunderstorm.

Our grandson Michael plays the trombone in the Philadelphia Jazz Orchestra, a summer group mostly made up of Princeton High School students.  Two years ago he toured Italy with them but he is not going on the trip this year.  He is staying home to work as a camp counselor and to visit some colleges.

Michael-second row on the right

The group is amazing.  The young women who are the soloists belt out the songs and look like they are having a great time singing.  Various band members are singled out for extended solos.  I know almost nothing about jazz but I do know that this group is great and we are proud of Michael for being a part of it.

As we walked back to our car I thought about how Michael's dad Jeff gave us so many interesting and enriching experiences.  And how Michael's Aunt Laura and Uncle Dan gave us even more experiences of a different sort.  I think of the Math Olympiad receptions in Washington, DC and Mathcounts contests both in North Carolina and Indiana.  I think of musicals in which Laura performed and plays in which Dan had a part.  Plus Quiz Bowls for Dan.  More memories keep floating back.  We spent time in three San Francisco neighborhoods, two Brooklyn neighborhoods and two Manhattan areas.   

And now our grandchildren are bringing us to dance recitals and jazz performances.  After Michael's Dance Factory performance, I was wishing I could still learn to tap dance.  Last night I was thinking that in my next life if there was such a thing as reincarnation, I would like to be a jazz singer.  I will just have to be content to enjoy the grandchildren on stage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment