Tuesday, December 20, 2022

NFL and NBA

I have written only one blog so far this month.  I will probably do one about Christmas celebrations but otherwise there has not been much I have wanted to write about.  

Jim suggested writing about watching TV sports because that is a big part of our lives.  In fact when I complain about seeing the same commercials over and over,  I need to remember that is a result of watching so much TV night after night. 

So what can I say about our TV habits?  I have admired the longevity of Tom Brady and the skill of Baker Mayfield as they have come through in the last few minutes of some exciting games to pull their NFL teams to victory.  I have not admired Aaron Rodgers even if he too has been able to play well for many years because I have resented his refusal to be vaccinated for Covid.  Jim always hopes the games will be played in snowy conditions and we have seen a few where the field is obliterated under a white blanket.  One of the funniest scenes the TV crews loved was of a very creative snowman sitting next to a fan in the bleachers.  

Jim comments on the games and I try to understand what he is saying but much of it is lost on me.  Jim often makes an observation and then the announcers will say the same thing.  I tell him he could have a second career as a sportscaster!  

I like to watch Notre Dame teams play because their players are somewhat familiar to me and their coaches certainly are.  Jim finds it more distressing because he is frustrated when they play poorly.  I try to reassure him that the reputation of the theology department at Notre Dame is not dependent on the football or basketball team's winning seasons but I am not sure he is convinced!  

Sometimes I wonder about the morality of watching such a brutal sport.   Jim said that the Pro Bowl this year is going to be flag football!  I wonder how that will work out but I understand the desire to minimize injuries when so much money depends on staying healthy.   

And that is just football.  We enjoyed watching the Mets in baseball but they are losing so many players that it won't be the same next year.  We haven't really chosen an NBA team.  Last year we were happy to cheer for a few college teams--Rutgers and St. Peter's--who were often on in this local market.  

And then there is golf which Jim enjoys watching--even if the match is over and it's a replay and he knows who won.  I find it pretty dull although it can be relaxing at least.  

I do ask at some point each day what will be on for our viewing pleasure in the evening.  There is always something unlike the early Covid days when there were no live sports.  In our retirement we have plenty of leisure time and it is something we can enjoy together.  

January 5 update:  On Monday night, January 2, Damar Hamlin fell backwards after tackling another player.  He needed CPR and it was administered on the field with the Buffalo Bills players standing around him.  An ambulance took him to a trauma center.  The game was suspended after just six minutes into the game. The crowds went home. Amazingly, three days later, he is "neurologically intact" but still on a ventilator.  He wrote asking if there was a win and was told Yes because his life was a win.  It was such a reminder of how dangerous football is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment