Monday, May 15, 2023

Mother's Day

 

Yesterday was Mother's Day. It was a good day and I was, as I have been for many years, very thankful to be a mother of three--and a mother-in-law of their partners in life.

I never felt that I was a super-mom as I thought a couple of my friends were--who "loved every minute of it" and said things like "they grow up too fast." I was afraid the curse of my old age would be solitude because I at times craved it so much!  I thought babies and toddlers could be pretty cute but I enjoyed my children more as they grew older--as I enjoy them as adults now. And now in my senior years, I usually appreciate my solitude and am glad not to be chasing after little ones any more.

Our three children were born in 1972, 1978, and 1984.  That appears as if we planned a six year spacing but that is not the case.  That is just the way they were given to us and it has ramifications even now in that the cousins are all grown up in one family and the other family still has a pre-schooler.  

I am grateful that I received Mother's Day greetings from all of them!  We were

unable to have our usual cookout at Jeff and Susan's because of Jeff's Covid diagnosis.  Laura and her family sent a beautiful orchid bouquet. Dan and Alex called with Facetime so we could chat and see them too.  Jim and I treated ourselves to cooking a steak and having a coconut cream pie for dessert. It was a good day of going to church and then relaxing at home.  

Our pastor in his prayer was mindful of those who find Mother's Day difficult--due to not having children or having lost a mother recently.  I liked hearing one young son of friends of ours cooing during much of the service--happy baby noises added to my joy on Mother's Day as did his big smiles after the service.   

No comments:

Post a Comment