I just did my third Mounjaro injection. Each time it is a little different—the first time, well over ten seconds between clicks, this time about two seconds. But we can see a little puncture wound and the plunger is visible in the apparatus.
The first week went deceptively smoothly. Then I had a delicious grilled burger with the Conways on Friday night and after I took my last pills of the day, I began to feel like there was a rock in my stomach. That lasted until about 2 am when I fell asleep. The next day, Saturday, is always our day for grocery shopping and meal planning. I felt as if the thought of food was revolting. I could not think of anything that sounded good to buy but we needed to eat. I was very sad and so aware of how important food is in our lives and how, in many ways, food is a reward.
In the early afternoon, I had a voice mail from the pharmacy at Walgreens. I thought I better return the call and it was the pharmacist calling to ask if I had any questions about Mounjaro. I thought that was so kind. I told him I was sad about finding thoughts of food so unappealing and he said that was very typical. I was so hoping the next three months were not going to be like this.
And blessedly, the next day was better and this past week has been better. I have enjoyed my food again and tried to be careful about not eating a lot. I even had a few sips of wine with meals. Jeff and Susan brought pizza one night this week and that tasted great and had no ill effects.
I hope that the side effects don’t get worse with each injection as they did after the second one. But at least I know that I got over the worst of the indigestion and the despair over planning and cooking and eating. And in any case, this is what I have to do to bring that A1C down to pre-diabetes levels. I may have lost one pound but no more. I have left food on my plate a few nights but didn’t feel like I usually overate before this regime. I have a ways to go to lose 12 pounds by November 3 as Dr. Delacruz predicted. Weight loss will help my back strain and make it easier for me to walk greater distances. I may have lost one pound.
Again, TMI for most of my blog readers but Jim and I like using this blog and the book we make of it as a record of our lives and this has been our life this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment