Saturday, January 21, 2017

Marching 2017

The cheerful young cashier at Martin's asked me what my plans were for the weekend.  I told her I was going to march this afternoon.  She had not heard of any march and asked what that was all about.  I explained briefly my dismay at Trump's election and she wondered what we hoped to accomplish by marching. She asked what else I would be doing this weekend. I told her I'd be going to church.  She said she would be going to mass and studying.   I decided I should add the disclaimer that I was marching as a Feminist for Pro-Life and she asked, "Wasn't Trump the pro-life candidate?"  And thus we see the problem.
------------------
It was a spectacularly beautiful afternoon for January--or for any month--61 degrees and sunny.  The plaza in front of the Morris Civic Theater was full of sign-bearing women--and some men and children too.  We could not hear anything the speakers said but we were happy to be a part of the crowd affirming justice and equality for all.  "Now" was the cry heard at each street corner as we marched. There were almost no negative or nasty signs.  There were not many people of color which was somewhat dismaying.

Our own church was well represented by the group in the photograph but there were at least as many others we couldn't seem to find in the crowd but knew were there.  I was proud to march with these young women and to feel a part of a protest across the nation.

My friend Lou VanderGriend had the best sign of all, I think! She quoted Matthew 15:18 which says, "But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things defile a man."  Although I also liked, "Tweet as you would like others to tweet you."

No comments:

Post a Comment