Monday, April 30, 2018

Our Church Family

We live so far away from our children and grandchildren.  Many friends our age have retired and moved away--often to be nearer their own children and grandchildren. Our church family has become a place for multi-generational friendships for which we are grateful.

The Baxter-Banga family has included us for Easter dinners.  There are often more than 30 people there with David providing the main course of meat and everyone else bringing side dishes and dessert.  I always hope there will be some little ones to help me make my bunny cake.

Saturday we were invited to a 10 year old's birthday party at The Ice Box where he plays hockey.  There were several families from our church there.  I watched for a while and then decided that with the help of a "walker," I too could skate.  So I did--twice around.

Saturday evening I was asked to join a group of women from church to go out for dinner and then to a movie.  We had a table of 14 at a crowded and noisy Evil Czech Brewery.  I was the only white-haired woman there and at least 25 years older than anyone else and probably 35-40 than most.  I was honored to be included!

Our church is so small that we know everyone there--at  least by name--and probably much more than that.  When someone new comes in, we know to welcome them. When folks are missing, we wonder why--or often, we know why.  We share each other's joys, but also each other's sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment