Wednesday, January 30, 2019

What Will I Do All Day? A Week Later

It was -17 when we got up this morning.  It is -15 now at 7 pm and it will be -22 at 8 am tomorrow.  Schools were closed.  Newspaper and mail delivery was cancelled.  We were asked to stay off the roads unless it was an emergency or we had to get to work.  We dressed very warmly and set the furnace at 65 degrees, three degrees lower than usual and we felt plenty warm because it was running often.

Jim took the car out for a few rounds in our neighborhood  to keep the battery charged.  I walked around the cul-de-sac twice to experience -17 degrees for a few minutes.  The sun was shining brightly and at dusk, the purplish glow was breathtaking.   How could it be so beautiful outside and yet so deadly?

We had nothing on the schedule for today.   So in many ways it was like a week ago and yet so different.  And being home, there is always plenty to do especially because we are trying to get rid of things in this house.

I sorted through boxes in Dan's room and after going through three of them, decided I'd had enough.  I did find a $50 bill however--and lots of change--and a lovely essay he wrote on the topic of "Covenant" in which Jim and I came out looking pretty good in our encouraging him and loving and accepting him as he was.  Maybe not so good however when he wrote about how his part of the covenant was needing to respect us even though we were hopeless (in his opinion!) when he tried to help us with our computer concerns.

I sorted through old toys and dumped a box of very little Playmobile odds and ends.  I looked through my organ books and will copy a few  isolated numbers and then give several books away.  I posted a photo of some silverplated items from my mother and found homes for them.

I read through another chapter of Jim's work on RH Charles and read several chapters of a very enjoyable The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell, a bookstore owner in Wigtown, Scotland.

We did a Friday NYT puzzle while drinking wine before supper. Now once again, it's probably sports on TV and time for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment