Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Reflecting on Last Sunday

 Bible Study was cancelled because of icy roads and thus a school delay.  My new student Christopher at Hope Ministries left over the weekend so that is the sad end of what looked promising after last week's initial session. My long time student Malissa postponed her lesson because she has to work late.  Jim took the car-now our only car- to Notre Dame and will go to Martin's for a few items.

So it is a good time to reflect on last Sunday and why it is so hard to leave our church--probably the hardest part about leaving this area for me at least.

Adult church school was led by John Dendiu and focused on ways of reading Scripture.  We practiced breath prayers and "lectio divina."  I used "he restoreth my soul" as my breath prayer and "that the boat was already filling up"  from Mark 4 in the story of Jesus calming the wind and the waves as my phrase for lectio divina.  I took it as a metaphor for my brain which fills up with too much stuff when I lie awake! I have done both of these methods on my own but there was something quite moving and profound about a room of my friends all meditating and praying at the same time.

Pastor Chris Rea led the liturgy with words about the importance of confession.  We sang great songs with organ and with band with enthusiasm--we are a singing congregation and we have good leaders.  Chris's  sermon was based on the lectionary for this Sunday and challenged us to surrender ourselves to Christ as did Isaiah and Peter.

We almost always socialize for quite a while after church.  This week I was able to give Kelly two disk sleds for her boys and an aquatint to Anita who admired it--all part of my purging the house.

The evening service Mosaic is held once a month.  It was an open mike night--probably our first.  I am always a bit apprehensive about that kind of thing but was ready to contribute if others did not.  However, plenty of others did--from little N who brought tears to my eyes when she said, "I always have trouble with multiplication.  I prayed about it and I got a 58."  I assume that is a good score!  Others were thankful for our church, for family, for a good weekend with youth at Winter Blast.  The requests came from worshipers ages 6 to 70 and were examples of vulnerability and needs.  We sang favorite songs "In Christ Alone" and "To Him Who is Able to Keep You."

 We participated in the Lord's Supper and I took the bread from a first time deacon Steve who I heard was apprehensive about doing so but I am sure he was touched--as I always was when it was my time to serve.  I couldn't sing the last acapella Amens because of my tears especially as I noticed Pastor Chris with one arm around someone who was probably feeling very emotional about that particular song and the other arm lifted in praise--not a typical gesture in our more reserved congregation.

And then there was the chili cook off with lots to try and more friends to talk to--and a chance to give away soup bowls and lids to Lisa and Mardi Gras beads to Julia's children.  Good homes for the stuff we need to pass on!

So how can we find another church like this one?  We can't.  We have always found churches in which we can worship and serve and I assume we will again but Church of the Savior in South Bend is one of a kind and we will miss it greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment