Tuesday, May 14, 2019

St. Matthias Day

No photo description available.The bishop's lectionary this morning from Acts 1 was about choosing Matthias as the 12th disciple in place of Judas.

Facebook sent me a memory from ten years ago today--a photo of Jim at Campion Hall,
the Jesuit house where we spent a week while Jim gave the Speaker's Lectures.  These two things jogged a memory for me that I want to record.   Maybe I wrote about this before but Blogspot has just saved entries from the last five years.

I got up early to attend morning mass in the chapel.  I expected a room full of Jesuits but I was the only one in the chapel.  Soon I was joined by the celebrant, the assistant and the reader--all of whom had parts in the service.  The homily given by the seated celebrant as if it was a conversation was about Matthias and his ordinariness and yet he is mentioned in Scripture and has a Saint's Day.  I felt as if my ordinariness was being affirmed.

Then it came time for Mass.  I am not a Catholic and I assume the celebrant knew that.  Maybe not.  Was I going to be welcomed to participate?  I carefully noted that the wafer was broken into four pieces--I must be included.  It was a participation in the supper of our Lord that I will always remember and cherish.  "The body of Christ broken for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment