Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A Walk Not Spoiled (by 18 holes of golf!)

This afternoon Jim is out golfing.  He has had difficulty in getting tee-times  since the courses opened again two weeks ago.   Tee times are set every 16 minutes instead of every ten and allow only two golfers per slot.  So he is happy to be out there. (Jim just came home after 14 holes and said they are allowing four golfers to a slot now--another sign that things are opening up in New Jersey during this pandemic.)

I knew I needed to get some exercise too but was feeling lazy and didn't want to take our usual walk down to the towpath.  So I walked down Mapleton Road until I saw an opening through the trees and followed a path through the field to the familiar bench next to the towpath.  I called my friend Sue--and chatted until my phone was almost out of power.

 Instead of walking home via the towpath, I retraced my steps.  I walked along the "farm to table" garden of Eno Terra, a high class restaurant in Kingston.   I knew this land must have been part of the historic Mapleton Nursery when I saw the row of red maples and their entangled trunks.  I didn't see any bluebirds in the bird houses in the field but I heard lots of songbirds as I walked.

I scared a deer in the woods but he scared me too!

 It was a lovely walk but my Fitbit says it was only about 3200 steps. Not enough even if I am warm and sweaty and a bit weary. I can take another walk later--our daily walk to get the mail in the clubhouse--about 1600 steps.  My goal is 7000. 

No comments:

Post a Comment