Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Vitamin D



Jim takes a vitamin D pill every other day.  I choose an alternative--to sit on our deck and face the sun and get my vitamin D in that way.  Of course, there are cloudy days and sometimes I forget until the sun is tucked behind the garage roof but it is a good and healthy habit in more than one way.  

I use those minutes to practice mindfulness using the breath prayers introduced by my pastor in South Bend.    I breathe in "healing" and I breathe out "fears."  I breathe in "courage" and breathe out "dread."  I breathe in "peace of mind" and breathe out "anxiety."  I breathe in "gratitude" and breathe out "worry."

Does it work?  I don't know.  I can't say that I am a calm, courageous person without fears and anxiety as a result.  But I do enjoy those few minutes of sunshine on my face.  I feel the sun on my skin.   I hear the wind and the rustling of leaves on the pavement.  Sometimes I hear the voices of children and the hum of far off traffic on Route One. I see two bare trees with their seed pods looking like ornaments.  I try to still my mind and be thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment