Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Burdened by Books

 We are in the process of downsizing and I told myself I would go over my many books in the second bedroom today and give away some more.  We gave five bags to the library earlier this week—the maximum they would take.  We estimated that to be 85 books for tax purposes.

So I went to the shelves this morning and tried to get rid of some. I came up with two books and that is all.  I pull a book  off the shelf and remember how much I enjoyed it and how I might want to read it again.  I pull another unread book off the shelf and read the summary on Goodreads and think I would be happy to give it another try.  Many of the books I read and had rated five stars and gave great reviews.  How can I part with them?  

My life will not be long enough to read all these books.  And then I am tempted by buying still more for my Kindle app or checking out more from my “To Read Later” list at the library.  I am thankful for the joy of reading but right now I feel overwhelmed by my ambition to read and reread. 

————And then there are all of Jim’s books.  He may sell some to a Brooklyn bookseller, he will probably give many away to Princeton Seminary students or Princeton University graduate students.  The book dealer has been in contact with him; he needs to contact the students.  What is left, Byron Movers says they will give to some organization.  And a good many will make the move with us and will be left someday for our offspring to dispose of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment