Friday, December 4, 2015

The "Uncommon" Cold

Jim and I have not had any colds for at least 14 months.  Probably longer.  He started taking methotrexate, an immune suppressant for rheumatoid arthritis,  in October 2014  and he was told to be extra careful to avoid infections.

However, a few days over Thanksgiving with our wonderful grandchildren left us both with colds.  Or maybe it wasn't them at all, but just travelling on airplanes three times in a week that exposed us to more germs than usual.

A week of nose blowing and I get a purple eye
It's been a rough week.  Today I feel better and can breathe most of the time without a struggle.  Feeling better makes me realize how bad I did feel!  I was so glad that I didn't have to go to work or take care of little children.  Jim taught his classes but said he probably should not have. . 

 I didn't stop all activities.  No one was able to sub for me as a docent on Wednesday at the Snite Art Museum, so I bravely toured three groups of third graders on their "Sculpture Quest."  Adrenaline flows and I didn't feel terrible until the third group went downstairs to do their project. I collapsed on the bench outside the museum before the long walk to the parking lot. 

I wonder why no one has been able to find ways to prevent colds or reliable ways to ease symptoms.  The array of over-the-counter medications at the drug store is overwhelming.  I tried a couple of them without much success.  Jim talked to a pharmacist tonight and signed for something kept behind the counter.  We'll see if that has more success.

In any case, I am glad that the common cold has been a pretty "uncommon cold" in our experience and hope that continues. 



No comments:

Post a Comment