Friday, December 22, 2017

December Trip I

Friday was a rough day of travel.  We know that going through O'Hare is a problem and it was again.  We left South Bend on time at 8:20 and didn't leave O'Hare until 2:15 CST--almost four hours late.  Then the air train was stalled at Newark and we missed two NJ Transit trains and had to wait for 45 minutes for another one.  So, 13 hours after leaving home, we were checked into our Homewood Suites room  and ready for dinner at Ruby Tuesdays with Jeff.  We could drive it in 12 hours--but are hesitant to do so in the winter.

A few memories of a happier sort:   A young African-American woman behind me in line after our long wait at O'Hare said to me, "I want to tell you that I just love your hair."  Wow.  I was affirmed.  Then there was the young man who noted that my shoe lace was untied and he was worried I would fall.  His concern for an old lady was appreciated!

Dinner was also a problem.  Apparently a chef walked out and our server had another problem with the order and our meals were badly delayed.  Jim's came after the rest of us were almost finished and was on the house.

I did not sleep well--thanks to noisy plumbing and a midnight bath in the room over us and my own issues.

  But Saturday all was redeemed as I listened to Jeff and Jim laughing over a soccer game while I rested on a couch downstairs--and then listened to James' Princeton High School Choir singing Lauridsen's Agnus Dei with the Princeton Symphony Orchestra.  I closed my eyes and tears rolled down my cheeks.  It was heavenly--and I prayed for James and his life as he too leaves home next year for college.

We had another supper at Ruby Tuesdays with Jeff and M who is no longer a boy but is definitely becoming a young man.  Back to the room--a new room on the 4th floor with no one over us!  I am bold enough these days to ask for what I need!

Sunday:   It appears that the only way I can get my laptop to work is to drop it or slam it on the counter.  That has gotten it going twice now.


I had a much better night on the 4th floor and an easy drive to Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church where we worshipped with Laura singing in the choir and A in his class.

  It was a quiet day otherwise with the older three skiing with their dad and then off to The Nutcracker with Laura later.  Jim entertained A and later A entertained me by shoveling in the driveway for at least an hour--just happily removing snow from the lawn to the driveway itself.

Michael fixed us cheese fondue with bread and apples and it was delicious.

Monday:  Laura and I went shopping at the enormous King of Prussia mall where she successfully completed her shopping for adult relatives.  I got in the shopping mood and bought new lipstick and alas--cream for my wrinkles.  I had not given in to this before but today was inspired!   Then my dauighter treated me to lunch at Bonefish Grill.

It was a lazy afternoon but we did take a good walk with A to our favorite Henry Park with its little stream.  A had his hands so full of treasures of sticks and pine cones that he needed our help to carry them.

Supper was a fajita mix made by G, the nanny, who is a wonderful cook as well as a wonderful nanny.  There's lots of coming and going with karate lessons but Michael and S and R were able to eat with us.  Laura and J ate later.

So now it's off to NYC for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment