Thursday, December 19, 2019

A Piano in my Life Again

Years ago I bought a used studio piano.   We moved it four times but this last move was just into our garage where Laura's piano movers picked it up and brought it to her house about an hour from here.   I am glad she can play the piano that she learned on and that her kids can use a real piano not just a keyboard.  She found room for it in her "library."

But I really have missed my piano.  I can walk to the clubhouse and play a beautiful grand piano but that means closing the heavy doors to the room, improvising a stand for music, and putting up with three stuck keys.   I can also go to Jeff and Susan's house and play their spinet piano which I had tuned.  I have done that several times and been happy I could do so. 

Last weekend Jeff texted and asked if I'd like to go on a keyboard shopping trip.  Sure, why not?    So they drove me down Route One to a place where they had rented beginning band instruments several times.   I tried a few digital pianos and learned how they are different from keyboards--weighted keys make them sound more like pianos and they have a sustaining pedal.   I found a large box that was a "package" of piano, stand, and bench for a decent price.   Jim was happy to have me pick out my own Christmas present and Susan was driving their van so  without any more fuss, I made the purchase and we loaded the box.   It was a lot easier carrying it up the steps to our second floor apartment than a real piano would have been.

Jim spent many hours putting together the piano stand.  As often happens, we did not have the right tools so he asked for advice at our wonderful Princeton Ace Hardware and bought a power screw driver.   Then the task went much better and soon he had the piano on its stand and plugged in.  Jim was extremely patient about the whole process.  I give him lots of credit for his work.

I began to play with some trepidation although I had clarified that if I wanted to upgrade I could return the piano for a better one within 30 days.  But this one is just fine for my purposes.  It may not be good for playing Bach and Scarlatti--I haven't even tried that yet--but it is fine for hymns and for my learning choir music. 

I posted a video on Facebook of my playing "Surely the Presence of the Lord is in this Place" and there were many kind comments from friends from South Bend and elsewhere.  I had joy in sharing my news on Facebook and connecting with my loving friends.  I am very, very happy with my Christmas present!




No comments:

Post a Comment