Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas Day 2019 and Why We Moved to Princeeton

It has been a tumultous year for us with a major move and major medical issues.   But yesterday was a good reminder of why we are happy we made the move to Princeton.

We left early enough to account for possible traffic congestion on Route One or  I 276 or  I 476 and arrived at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church plenty in time for the 4:30 pm Christmas pageant in which all four Conway children particpated.   Sam and Jasper were readers, Ruth was one of the Magi, and Alex was a sheep.   The church was packed but we had good seats and were able to save seats for Michael and Grandma Di.  Laura had a responsibility as a sheep mom to keep order if needed.   We got a glimpse of Ruth and Alex and were so proud of the clear and poised reading of Sam and Jasper. 



We left Bryn Mawr around 6 and stopped for a McDonald's supper on the way home.   After a quiet glass of wine at our apartment, Jim dropped me off at Nassau Presbyterian Church for a 9 pm call and then drove to Jeff and Susan's house.    The choir had a last minute practice and headed up to the balcony where we listened to a beautiful harp prelude of Christmas songs.  I tried to let the music enter my soul as I prayed for strength and stamina for the music to come.

I was delighted to see Jim and the Princeton VKs find a seat in the balcony where I could see them easily.   There were a few smiles and waves at Grandma. I thoroughly enjoyed the role reversal because we have heard James and Katie sing many times and listened to Michael on his trombone as well.   The lessons and carols service at 10 pm went well but was a challenge to me mentally and physically. 

Jim and I arrived back home at our apartment at 11:40 pm and went to bed around 1 am.   I am reflecting on the day now and thinking that in the last few weeks I have not felt much peace but yesterday I was able to live the themes of the Advent candles with Christ bringing love, peace and joy.   I was grateful for feeling more peace and acceptance of what has happened and will happen in 2020.  And I was thinking of what a blessing it was to have our lives connect with all seven of our grandchildren yesterday.  We have a home here now.  We don't have to stay in a motel or drive 700 miles to get here.


No comments:

Post a Comment