Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Letter Writing is a Lost Art

"Letter writing they say..." was a clue in the crossword puzzle I was doing yesterday with the answer of "lost art."  I pondered that thought while going through many shoe boxes full of cards, letters, programs, etc. from many years ago--but not from recent years.  I saved emails for a while but now we don't even get those.  Texts are great but impermanent.

I threw out birthday party invitations, greeting cards with signatures but no messages, and thank you notes from people I couldn't even remember.  Why did I save all that stuff?  I continued to save longer letters from family and friends after looking at them briefly.  Some day those will have to  be pitched too but I envision a day when I am housebound or bedridden and will have lots of time to enjoy them again.

Were we ever this young?
It was a bittersweet exercise.  There were letters from friends who have passed away--some at fairly young ages.  There were letters from people who were  good friends at the time and now we rarely or never hear from them.   There are some friends who have resurfaced on Facebook and that is fun. There were precious hand-made notes and cards from the kids.

My goal throughout this year is to keep working on purging stuff in the house so we can consider packing up and moving without too much trauma!

No comments:

Post a Comment