Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cataract Surgery Aborted

I have had trouble with auras around lights at night for quite a while.  This summer I began to struggle more with seeing the scores when playing the organ.  And I always take my glasses off for computer work and reading.  So it seemed time to start the process for cataract surgery.

First step--seeing an optometrist who referred me to Laser and Cataract Institute--a place Jim has visited for years for his eye problems.  It was a long and involved appointment there lasting almost three hours and ended with scheduling my surgeries and paying a down payment for their laser guided process.

This morning after fasting since midnight we checked in at Unity Hospital for my first surgery.  The whole process went surprisingly smoothly and easily compared to the more involved one for Jim last year at St. Joseph Medical Center.  I was given some anesthetic for "conscious sedation" and many drops for numbing and dilation.  But once I was rolled into surgery, the crisis began.  Apparently someone ordered the wrong lens for me and the surgery had to be aborted.

I was confused and angry and frustrated. I was partially sedated and very hungry and thirsty.  The doctor went to the waiting area and told Jim we had an issue.  Jim was concerned about what an "issue" could possibly be fearing the worst!  The doctor explained it to both of us and was very apologetic.  The director of the surgical area was also very apologetic and gave Jim a $25 Walmart gift card for our gas, she said, which I really just find insulting.   One assistant said this was the first time this had happened since the hospital opened.  I said I wasn't sure I wanted to reschedule and would have to think about it.

Cucumber Tom Collins
and Tacos
On the way home Jim got me a Krispy Kreme donut and some coffee which definitely helped!  I called the Institute to cancel a follow-up appointment and found that they already knew about the situation.  That eased my anger somewhat because I knew they were upset as well.

Meanwhile the dilation is slow to disappear from my eye and I felt a bit dizzy from the sedation or the eye strain.   We did enjoy Happy Hour at Granite City however!
 My blood pressure has been high all month and was really high today so I am going to see Dr. Blechl tomorrow.  I probably will reschedule the surgery--the office gave me my choice of times under the circumstances.  I feel like I should apologize to the doctor because it wasn't his fault.  I hope he can excuse me realizing that I was functioning under "conscious sedation."

It has been a very frustrating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment