Saturday, February 23, 2019

It's Not Trash--It's a Treasure

I have been feeling burdened by all our belongings accumulated over the years. When I think of the cupboards and drawers and chests full of photo albums, dishes,  music, and just assorted stuff, I feel overwhelmed.  And sometimes I feel sad as I look at the mementos that bring back memories from the years of our lives--and also of our parents' lives.  Because there are also journals from Jim's father and photos from my parents and music and books from both sides of the families.  It's three generations of stuff, including stuff our kids left behind--everything from toys to prom souvenirs to graduation robes.


But there has also been great joy in realizing that what we must discard can bring joy to others.  The first book give-away at church was great; I loved seeing our friends leave with our books in their hands.  Another one will take place soon with even more books.  Notre Dame graduate students have taken bags of commentaries and dictionaries from Jim's collection.  The foosball game, the electric typewriter, the 50 year old Singer sewing machine, and the barbells have found new homes.  My friends in our women's Bible study "shopped" from the back seat of our car and left with items ranging from a Dutch oven to a small cooler to a espresso machine. 

Tonight the photo a friend sent of her three little girls delighting in our old typewriter made me smile.  I am so grateful that our things can be used and enjoyed by others.


No comments:

Post a Comment