Thursday, December 12, 2019

Singing Again

During our years in South Bend, I sang in our church choir which tended to meet only during Advent or Lent--and then often, I accompanied them.  I sang for one year or so in the SB Symphonic Choir and then I did a Notre Dame conducting class in which we were there for the student conductors to practice on.   Oh, and the Collegium for a year or two under Daniel Stowe--the Renaissance music choir--very challenging--and we did perform each semester.  But there was no long-term choir commitment during those years.

However in the last few weeks I have joined two choirs of very different sorts.  The Grace Notes Choir is made up of retirees--or at least older folk like me.  I wondered how bad it might sound--but we sound pretty good  I think.  Our director Noel Werner chooses appropriate music and rehearses us well.   This week we sang advent music for a communion service at Stonebridge, a senior citizen community.  It was a wonderful worshipful service and I was very glad to be a part of it.

I also have gone to two rehearsals on Wednesday evening of the Nassau Presbyterian Church Choir also led by Noel Werner.  Now, this one is a challenge.   Last week we sang a Rachmaninoff anthem in Church Slavonic for the Sunday service.  We are learning Bach's Christmas Oratorio and several anthems ranging from medieval to very contemporary styles.  It is two hours of absolute concentration and challenge.   To my great pleasure, the alto section leader said "You've sung the Bach Oratorio before"  and was surprised when I said I was sight reading.


I was assigned a choir robe and it probably was the first time in 29 years that I was robed--since we left White Memorial Presbyterian Church in Raleigh. 

I am commited to sing for at least the month of December and that may make our decision easier about which church to join.  I do already feel that the choir would make a good "small group" in such a big church--much like it was at WMPC.  I hope I can be alert enough to sing for a 10 pm Christmas Eve service.

This morning I wrote Noel to thank him and praise him for his work.  I boldly attached the "hymn testimony" I gave at our South Bend Church last spring and he wrote back to say he was going to file my email and attachment away for when he needed encouragement.  I was so glad I followed my impulse to email him--and to send the attachment.  Once again I was reminded that even those who are real pros in their fields can use a word of praise.   I may need to include my "hymn testimony" as a separate blog because it does tell how important music is to me and to my faith.

In this time of too many medical issues that are making me very anxious, it has been a gift to be able to be distracted and challenged by singing.

Jim no longer has to be the responsible parent like he was the many Sunday mornings I sang in Raleigh but he has been the designated driver dropping me off for rehearsals, going to the seminary or university library, and then picking me up afterward. And he is the appreciative spouse after the singing both at church and at the senior community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment