Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Christmas Preparations


 I think I presented church school classes three times on Simplifying Christmas--once in Raleigh, and twice in South Bend.  The last time was three years ago with my friend Julia Lincicum.  We had fun preparing for it and the class was quite memorable with some frank contributions from the group.

I remember Laura as a child being concerned that we would make Christmas too simple.  It is not my favorite time of year because I often feel inadequate in thinking of good gifts for people I love dearly.  Plus there used to be the plans for a Family Literacy party which involved gifts for the children and finding a Santa Claus and a costume for him.  I took pride in finding a Santa of color and I always did--a brother or a boyfriend or someone who worked at the Housing Authority.

This year, it is still four days until we have a Christmas Eve brunch at Jeff and Susan's house and I almost have my shopping done.  Yesterday we went to Target and bought a Fisher Price school bus for little Henry.  It is big and noisy and I am delighted with it.  I hope he will be.  His parents probably will not like the sounds it makes when you push the button but then the battery will wear out eventually.

Yesterday, Shutterfly emailed that they were having "production problems" and my purchase for my sons and son-in-law would be delayed.  Today an email says it is at my mailbox.  We shall see!  (the bright orange box was there! Hooray!)

I have chocolate letters for the grandchildren and skittles for the one who has food allergies.  I have learned to order them from Vander Veens, the Dutch store in Grand Rapids, right after Thanksgiving so that they come on time.  I have three pounds of almond paste also from them so I can make banket.  Alonso, our maintenance head, was asking if I made it for Halloween too--so I know he is looking for it for Christmas! I almost never bake anything so making banket is an intimidating thought.  I'll postpone it until tomorrow! 

It is hard to think of gifts for Laura's children--who have a lot of stuff.  When we were at their house a few weeks ago, Ruth mentioned that her mother was lucky because when she read in bed, all she had to do was turn off the light right next to her bed.  That gave me an idea of booklights for the four older kids.  They are battery powered and rechargeable and clip onto books.  I also arranged for gift cards from an independent book store near them so they can pick out books of their choice.  

I was "creative" in making monogrammed stationery for my daughter and daughters-in-law.  I practiced making some for myself a few weeks ago and was happy enough with how it turned out.  

We plan on asking the three couples to choose a charity for a gift in their name.  Last year we gave them a promise to take them out for dinner and it took until two weeks ago to be able to do that with Jeff and Susan.  That was a Covid postponement mostly.  

Jim and I say that we are giving each other a trip to Florida again this year.

I have written out about 20 Christmas cards and that may be the extent of it.  Any others we receive I will respond with email greetings!  

Now there is a lot of wrapping to do.  I may need more paper.  I plan to make the traditional pigs in the blanket for our brunch--and bring the ingredients for mimosas.  How nice it is to travel ten minutes to see everyone instead of two days!  Although Dan and Alex may not be there out of a need to take precautions before their vacation flight on Christmas Day.  They do not want to test positive and go into quarantine in a Dominican Republic hotel.

No Christmas church services for us except for joining in from our couch again.  We did not make reservations for the Christmas Eve services.  No pageant to see at Laura's church.  No choir presentation at 10 pm for me at least.  Covid lives are quiet but Christmas time is still a joy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment