Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Travel from my Living Room

 

Path to Canal
As I write, I have Facebook friends in Florence, Amsterdam, Switzerland, and Spain.  I am enjoying the pilgrimages of four friends on the Camino el Santiago and a family of six traveling along the path of their Mennonite ancestors in Europe.   Another friend is taking her organ students on a organ tour of the Netherlands.  Still another friend is a "Roads Scholar" in Florence.

And how will I travel today?  I might watch another Rick Steves video--my pastime when Jim does his weekly golf outing.  I did my own Camino pilgrimage with one of Rick's guides--and learned that you can prevent blisters by wearing toe socks--like gloves for feet.  Great information that I probably will never use!  Last week I toured Colombia hoping to learn more about our daughter-in-law's heritage.  Rick Steve's son loves Colombia so much that he bought an apartment in Medellin.  

I did some limited travel planning yesterday by inquiring about a rental at Sunrise Resort in St. Pete Beach--for January 2023.  I also checked out Bear Mountain Lodge and Storm King Art Center in New York state for a possible short trip in June. 

 I am disappointed that I have not gone into New York City even once by myself since we moved here almost three years ago.  Jim told me that he would make the trip with me this summer unless I preferred to go alone.  I have many great memories of my solo NYC trips but would be happy to have company.  I might not wander around neighborhoods as much but I would like to make a return visit to MOMA--the Museum of Modern Art.  I think Jim would be awed as I was to see the monumental Monet waterlilies or Van Gogh sunflowers or Pollock paint splatters. 

Lenape Trail in Plainsboro
Much of the fun of travel is the planning and then later, the memories.  So I have begun a bit of the planning.  Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my friends' posts on Facebook and travel from my living room couch. 

And I'll enjoy the lovely walks we find in Princeton and Plainsboro--a ten minute drive from home or even just a walk down to the Delaware-Raritan Canal path.


No comments:

Post a Comment