Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Going our Separate Ways for a Few Days

Jim is heading to Denver for his annual Society of Biblical Literature convention in a few days.  I have gone with him in recent years and he wanted me to go with him again this year.  I was very reluctant to go and have decided to stay home.  

Why do I not jump at the chance to go somewhere?  I don't want to fly unless it is for a very good reason.  I hope to fly to Florida in January although at times this year that was not a sure thing.  I don't like receptions standing with drinks in hand and trying to chat in noisy rooms. It's hard to find places to eat when there are literally thousands of conventioneers.  We went to Denver a few years ago for the convention and there was not much to do within walking distance there.  Maybe it's the Covid thing as well--having to wear masks and realizing that crowded places are super-spreader events. I'm thinking too that we are not spending the $600 plus for my plane ticket--but we spent more than that for my root canal deposit yesterday.  However, that was not an optional cost! 

If the weather Friday is terrible, who knows?  Jim may still stay home with me.    Travelling with a partner is always easier--with one more set of eyes to find things.  In that way, I feel badly not to help my husband out. 

Being home alone for a few nights and days?  I could get pretty lonely.  I am trying to make some plans.  Susan is on her own one of the days and asked if I wanted to join her for dinner out somewhere.  Absolutely!  I said if she drove, I would pay.  She said that sounded like a deal!  I was thinking of Alex's going on a silent retreat earlier this fall and thought these days could be my silent retreat.  Maybe I could make it a time of a spiritual discipline of reading or listening to the liturgy of the hours.  I found an app to use on my phone for that purpose.  I know I could do that at any time but I might be more motivated when I am alone. 

With Jim's help, I am making sure I know how to do the things he always does around here.   I started the dishwasher yesterday.  I turned the furnace off last night.  Jim asked if my key opened the door without getting stuck and it did.  He wondered if I had cash and we visited the PNC ATM.  There is enough gas in the car.  I had to drive on my own yesterday anyway and that was reassuring--because I rarely do so.  Our newly leased car has its idiosyncrasies and its beeps are a bit unnerving.  Plus it turns off when one brakes--to save gas.  But that too is disconcerting when one thinks the engine has killed every time one comes to a stop.  

I remember years ago being in New York City all alone for several days.  Jim was in Japan as I recall so there was no contact between us.  I felt a bit lost and lonely at first but then began to keep a running commentary in a journal and that made me feel as if there was someone to listen!  I'm sure I'll be writing in my journals again.  And I probably will do another blog to update this stay-at-home adventure.

Jim and I can still chat and text and do Spelling Bee with our iphones even if we are miles apart.  We will be happy to see each other again next Monday.  I hope and pray we can be safely reunited then.

No comments:

Post a Comment