Friday, September 1, 2023

This is Enough

 

"This is Enough" has been my mantra lately.  When we were in St. Pete Beach last January, I sat on the deck looking out at the bay and told myself, "This is enough."  I didn't need to go on a long walk or a swim and we didn't have a car half of the time.  It was enough to look out at the beauty around me and meditate with thankfulness.

Laura writes about the value of setting 100 goals.  I don't have 100 goals.  I don't have a bucket list and this week I read a piece in the Washington Post in which someone's father set a "chuck-it list" instead of a "bucket list" and was relieved to do so.  There are no places I really want to see other than visiting our children and grandchildren in their homes.  I have no desire to travel overseas again or even to fly anywhere in the US.   We do plan to go to Florida again in January so we will endure Newark Airport one more time at least.

It makes me somewhat sad to think of all the times I explored NYC by myself--the adrenaline I felt stepping out of Penn Station into the crowds on the sidewalk.  Thanks to a few falls and other incidents, I would not dare do it alone again.  Jim and I might make a trip there together but we have no immediate plans. 

We are offering our bikes as a give-away to students coming into town.  I insisted on bringing them here when we moved but we have not used them and now I feel too uneasy about doing so--getting off and on and keeping my balance.  It's a regret but not a big loss!

"It is enough" to do the household chores, to do Spelling Bee and the NYT crossword puzzle daily with Jim, to watch the Mets or the Phillies from our couch, to find good books to read, to email friends and hear from them in response, to visit our children and grandchildren, and to blog when I am inspired to do so!

1 comment: