Sunday, March 31, 2024

A Walking Stick (aka cane)

 

It is a turning point in my life.  I am trying to be thankful and not sad.  I definitely have mixed feelings.

Jim ordered me a cane through our three month opportunity to spend $40 with United Health Care.  He did not surprise me with his purchase.  He showed me what he wanted to do for me.  I did not say "No." 

The package was at the door already the next morning.  I used the cane when I walked to meet my friend Peggy at our usual spot near the clubhouse where we often sit and chat for a while.  Peggy was pleased with Jim's purchase.  

It is a recognition of aging and increasing fragility and that makes it hard to accept.  But it is also a way of being able to walk with less uneasiness.  I hope my pride doesn't get in the way of my using it! 

Jeff's reaction to my sending him a photo of the cane was a statement we had used with him ever since he was a little fella--"It's another sign you are growing up."  I appreciate Jeff's sense of humor.  Hmm.  Growing up or just growing old! 

  However I will be thankful I am growing old and can still (there's that word "still" again) walk on my own even if I need a visible sign of help. 

-----------------I just read Alice Fryling's  Aging Faithfully which was on my Kindle app for quite a while.  It was the right thing for me to read today as I accept the changes in my life and deal with them with Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment