Thursday, July 23, 2015

I Can't Remember!

I've been enjoying Rick Steve's Europe on our local PBS station a few times each week.  I appreciate his blend of beautiful sights, good food, and historical events--and I don't think I am ever going to get to most of the places he visits.

However, I have been to Florence, the place we visited tonight.  And nothing looked familiar.  I don't remember the palace of the Medicis or Abbazia di San Miniato al Monte,  the Romanesque church at the top of the hill a bit outside the city, or the Medici Chapel, the burial place designed by Michelangelo. 

What do I remember? I do remember the large Baptistry door and the hundreds of pigeons in the square, the shops on the bridge over the Arno River, but most of all I remember the campground outside the city and the fact that the water supply cut off when I was all soaped up in the shower.  Maybe that traumatic event has cut off all other memories! 

I have a travel journal and will look for it to see if anything else comes back to mind.  It seems sad to me to have been to such a historic and important place and not have vivid memories of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment