Thursday, August 20, 2015

Wellfield Botanic Gardens in Elkhart

I have posted before about interesting places to visit just a short distance from home.   I had read about Wellfield Gardens in Elkhart in our paper and added it to my local bucket list.  Today was the perfect day for a visit-sunny but cool and comfortable.  My friend Maggie is usually ready for an adventure so she joined me.


The gardens were lovely.  We walked through natural sections of weeds and wildflowers, next to Christiana Creek with its rapids and water lilies, and then through a more formal landscaped section.  There were vertical gardens and sensory gardens and sculpture gardens.  All of this is on a well field where the water for the city of Elkhart comes from aquafers 70 feet below ground.  The huge water storage tanks are right next door. 

I don't think this will be a once in a lifetime experience.  It's close enough and lovely enough to visit often.    

No comments:

Post a Comment