Monday, April 25, 2016

Pray-as-you-go.org

I have appreciated the Irish Jesuit's Sacred Space site over the years and I think that is what introduced me to "Pray as you go."  I started using the site during Lent and have continued to do so through Eastertide.  An app on my iphone makes it very easy to log on.

First there are chimes calling you to prayer.  Then there is music.  Maybe it will be from Taize or Ladysmith Black Mambazo or a monastery choir.  It might be in Latin or it might be in Swahili! Usually it is lovely.

 There are a few statements leading you into the lectionary reading for the day.  "As I enter into prayer now, can I put aside for a moment my pride, ...and place myself humbly into the hands of my God, who knows all my faults and failings and loves me still?"

There is more music and a few more statements guiding your thinking about the passage which was from the First Letter of Peter today.  There is more music and then you listen to the passage a second time.  You are asked  to focus on what is on your mind and how you relate to the passage.  Often it is very personal.  "What particular anxieties are troubling you now, that you can place in God's hands? Why not do that, now?"

All of this is done in a wonderful British or Irish accent.  The post ends with a single voice leading to a chorus of voices: "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen."

My favorite place to do this ten minute prayer is outside on our deck looking up at the trees and listening to the birds.  I recommend giving it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment