Thursday, June 9, 2016

Two Days in the Poconos

We have travelled along I 80 so many times from South Bend to Route 206 in New Jersey over the last 20 plus years but we have never been lured off the road to the Poconos until yesterday.  The timing was right with our destination being Katie's last dance recital on June 11 and maybe a feeling that Jim is retiring and we could take a few more days to make the trip.   I had made reservations already last October for the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort and eight months later, here we are!

The Inn is over 100 years old.  Our room is small but comfortable and the view of the Delaware River and the hills beyond it is beautiful.

Jim golfed today and as I consider golf "a good walk spoiled," I showed up for the "guided hike"  at 10 am.  I was the only hiker and hesitated to have the guide do this outing just for me.  But Cory, the guide, convinced me it would be great and he really wanted to do it if I felt comfortable.  So, off we went--through the picturesque town of Delaware Water Gap and down a couple of narrow, steep roads to a dirt parking lot.  Cory led the way briskly up a somewhat primitive, overgrown trail to our destination--Diana's Bath--a lovely little waterfall.  He kept up a steady conversation about his work and the joy he had in it and was eager to share his knowledge of the trees and wildlife we saw.  We did NOT see the black bear another hiker mentioned to us that had just crossed the path!  Cory asked me several times if I was enjoying myself and I assured him I was--and decided a private tour was worth a generous tip.  After all, Jim doesn't even know how much he was charged for his 18 holes of golf here!

I am often a farily restless person, but after our hike, I sat in a lounge chair along the river for over 45 minutes, just looking and listening and smelling.   It was a wonderful time of being totally in the present moment for which I was truly thankful.

After Jim finished his  golf match,, we drove about 20 minutes to Bushkill Falls, a place my friend Maggie suggested seeing.  I wonder how many steps there were to the bottom of the falls--and back up again.   It was worth the effort--the falls were impressive.

We had a glass of wine on the veranda followed by a very good supper at the pub on the premises and  now we are back in the room--over 13,000 steps for me today and 93 minutes of registered exercise.  A good day of fresh air and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment