Saturday, April 27, 2019

The Body is Aging

On October 23 I blogged about too many doctors' appointments.  That was not the end of it unfortunately.  I want to record what has been going on but this will definitely not be one I will post to Facebook!

First, my eyesight is much improved.  I wear glasses to read but if the light is good enough and the print dark enough, I don't always need them.  I also wear glasses to watch sports on TV but really don't need them at other times.  Sadly, I have not yet driven at night.  The glare and concentric circles around lights are so distracting and there doesn't seem to be any way to remediate that.  I will go back to Cataract and Laser one more time before we leave just to check things out.  I do not want any more lasik surgery.

In December while in Princeton, I had an episode of very painful stomach pain that radiated into my back.  Susan said right away that it was probably gall bladder pain.  I doubted it!   But when I had another episode in St. Pete Beach after eating fried chicken, I thought she could be right.  I have not had another terrible episode again but have had several uncomfortable days over the last few months.

 I saw Dr. Blechl and he scheduled an ultrasound which showed that I did have gallstones and evidence of previous issues.  The next step was a HIDA scan -- nuclear imaging.  I had that done yesterday.  It was a two hour process and it made me thankful for health insurance when I observed the time involved and the incredible equipment.  Fasting was no fun but midway in the test, they had me eat a huge muffin and drink a glass of whole milk to see if there would be blockage.  If we were not moving, I might not have agreed to the HIDA scan because I have had no issues for a month now.  I will be very hesitant to have surgery but we shall see.  I have to wait for several days to see Dr. Blechl again.

My more troublesome issue right now is hip pain which is probably arthritis according to Kelley Penrose, our physical therapist.  Her exercises which I have done for six weeks now are not helping much.  Ibuprofen does help and I don't have pain at night--just when walking.  I try not to look like I am limping but I know I am!

So having just turned 73, I feel like my body is failing me.  Yet I know so many others who are struggling with worse issues.  However I would like to not be so aware of my body.  And I'd like not to have to be so careful about what I eat, although I have lost a few pounds which is good!

We have plenty to do these days with the move in progress but things are getting done and that whole process has been so smooth and really blessed!

-------------------May 2 update:   I had an appointment with Dr. Blechl today.  I  knew that the HIDA test was negative because I was relieved to get a call already on Monday, April 29.  No need to see a surgeon.  Maybe stones passed.  Maybe pain was not gall bladder at all.  However, an x-ray this morning showed arthritis in my left hip--not "bone on bone" yet, but definitely there.  Not fun to hear that I will probably need a hip replacement "one-two-three-four years down the road!"  For now, I can take ibuprofen with meals twice a day and if I need more, that's OK too.  Just need to make sure we get a doctor in Princeton and get a referral to an orthopedist.   Maybe a second floor apartment is not right for us after a year or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment