Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Joy of Giving Things Away

I wrote earlier about "It's not Trash, It's a Treasure."  That saga has continued.  Yesterday I posted a photo on Facebook of the 12 piece china set I inherited from my Aunt Suzanne years ago.  When I first got it, I thought it was hopelessly old-fashioned.  But over the years, I really appreciated having matching china for large groups and I began to think it was really lovely.  But who would want it?  I am so pleased that Ann, a woman who grew up in our church and is now a translator for Wycliff who travels often to Cameroon, wanted it.  I was happy to give it to her.  It will be stored with another friend until she can come to South Bend to bring it to her home in Grand Rapids.

It was a joy to think of those dishes being used by Ann's family and friends-and I don't have to pay for them to be boxed and stored and shipped--and I don't need to sell them to strangers.

Additional items that have gone to friends are two bookshelves and a big brown rocker to Chris, son of Lisa and Gary, who was furnishing a new apartment.  A set of soup bowls went to Lisa.  My sister Lois took the crocheted bedspread made by our grandmother for our mother; she will pass it on to her daughter.   David took the beautiful wooden podium made by one of Jim's students. Linda, an artist whose work I treasure,  told me the book I gave her on the Armory Show in NYC 100 years ago was beautiful!   John and Cyn Haas want the desk for John and the canopy bed for their grand-daughter. Our cleaner, Linda, will take the snow-blower.

Two popular items were several damask napkins and my button box--both of which I was hesitant to post on Facebook.  Multiple Facebook friends expressed interest.  The napkins went to Karen in Fayetteville, Arkansas and Julie will use the button box in her Montessori classroom.

Best of all, the buyers will take anything we leave in the basement and garage and we have negotiated a price for the living room and three season room furniture.  They made us an offer and we said it was too much!  They emailed that this whole process has been a blessing and we think it has been also.

No comments:

Post a Comment