Monday, April 26, 2021

A Birthday Week




 Last week Wednesday was my birthday--and it was a "milestone" birthday.  When my grandparents were this age, I thought they were really, really old.  Sometimes I do feel pretty old but usually find it hard to believe that Jim and I are both so "full of years."

I posted and deleted one blog about my birthday.  It incorporated Jim's guest post on Laura's Facebook page.  He was so dear as to write a long (very long for social media!) piece and ask Laura to tag my friends so they could see it.  I don't put my birthday on Facebook but this way I was "outed."   I had copied and pasted it on this blog and then decided that having it on Facebook and on Laura's blog was enough.  I saved it however for my own private journal so I can look at it and feel affirmed any time!  It was a bit embarassing and humbling but it was a very original birthday idea and I appreciated his words immensely. 

Even though I deleted one blog post, I do want to remember the highlights of last week because it was an unusual one in this time of isolation.  The week began when our friends the Moorheads treated us for a birthday coffee at PJ's in Kingston on Monday morning.  We sat outside and it was a lovely visit.  The Moorheads were our friends from Raleigh days and it has been great to be reunited with them here in Princeton.

Then on Tuesday we drove to Spring Lake, New Jersey where we spent the night at The Breakers, a resort hotel right on the ocean.  We walked around the town looking at the large and luxurious homes.   The best part of our stay was eating at the hotel restaurant, the first time we had eaten out since October. It was wonderful to be waited on and enjoy a meal with a view of the ocean.  As my birthday treat, I decided we did not need to share a dessert as we usually do and I indulged in a very chocolate molten cake with ice cream.  

After breakfast in the hotel dining room the next morning, we headed home--only a hour's trip.  We can make that trip to the shore more often! 

Jim's post on Facebook was the gift that kept on giving as many friends made comments and sent me birthday wishes.  

Laura and her family sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers and Dan and Alex called via Facetime.  On Saturday we went to Jeff and Susan's for a birthday cookout.  It is so nice that the weather is warm enough that we can do that again.  Katie and Eli gave me another bouquet of tulips and  had picked up some very decadent cupcakes for a birthday treat.  Susan gave us both memorable hugs--saying that we can do that again now that we are fully vaccinated.  

I can't help but wonder what the next year will bring.  I hope it will be healthy and happy.   We have greater optimism about being able to deal with the threat of Covid than we did a year ago. We were able to see family and to eat in a restaurant.  We continue to be careful about mask wearing and avoiding gatherings but hope we will be able to avoid serious infection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment