Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Making Lists (or Losing Control)

 We are leaving for South Bend on Sunday--in five days.  We will be gone from Princeton for six weeks.  Jim will be teaching an intensive seminar at Notre Dame which will meet double time in half of a semester.  The Theology department is renting us a house on Juniper Street, just next to the campus and the football parking lot--and in Jim's happy mind, next to the Warren Golf Course.

I am stressed.  I am thinking about what has to be done before we leave and what to pack for the next six weeks.  

Last week during our happy hour I created a document that listed our incomes and our regular bills.  Jim is in charge of our finances and it made me feel much better to see it written down.  However, for now I am happy he is in charge of that aspect of our lives.

Then earlier this week I created another document listing my prescriptions with available refills and due dates.  That also made me feel more secure because there is a lot to keep track of.  We will have to request refills from the Princeton CVS for the South Bend CVS.  We were told that should be easy enough with all records online.  I hope that is true! 

Then there is my little notebook in which I am keeping lists of items I want to pack--other than the usual clothes and books.  Thinks like our bathroom scale (lest I gain weight by not keeping track of it daily), our blender (for our lunch smoothies), an electric heating pad (just in case there are aches and pains), a flashlight, our clock, etc.   And we thought it would be good to have our passports and of course, our vaccination records (although we have taken photos of them and I have a Docket app that can access mine on my phone.)  

And what else?  What am I forgetting?  Some medical records.   Our checkbook.  A scissors.  Phone and laptop chargers.  Our calendar.  Jackets.  

I made a reservation for Sunday night at a Hampton Inn in Streetsboro, Ohio where we have stayed many times.  Hope the Ruby Tuesdays there is open for business.  If not, there is a McDonald's nearby! 

It will be good to be settled in--a week from now--when we will know what our temporary home will be like.  It will be good to see friends and family again--and also to enjoy a week in South Haven.  

We can do this!   It's good to have a change of scenery and then I know we will be glad to be back home in Princeton in October in our lovely apartment.  

------------------Saturday, August 21--Suitcases are half-packed.  Refrigerator is close to empty.  Freezer likewise.  Bedding washed.  Are we packing too many items of clothing or not enough?  One sports coat or two?  Will we have a washer and dryer or will we have to use a laundromat?  Do we need warmer clothes before October 8?  Too many decisions.  We considered leaving today in light of the hurricane striking the east coast tomorrow but think we will be safe enough heading west.    

No comments:

Post a Comment