Sunday, September 26, 2021

Eleven Days Left in South Bend

I haven't written a blog post for over a week.  I think that is a sign that the novelty of being here at Notre Dame has worn off.  These days I have a sense of being neither here nor there--as if I don't know where I belong.  This may be a reason for my unsettled feeling.  I really looked forward to this stay in South Bend and it has been good to see family and friends. But I am also counting the days now until we go "home" to Princeton.  Our accommodations have been less than ideal but we have coped and soon we will be back in our lovely Barclay Square apartment. 

This past week we had dinner with others three times.  This coming week we will have dinner with others three more times.  The last week here has still one more dinner date scheduled.  This is far more sociability than we have had for two years and it has been good.  Although I brought a scale along to keep track of my weight, I haven't even lifted it out of the box we brought it in.  I am afraid to check because I know we are not eating as healthfully as we do at home.  I have cooked very few meals--hamburgers, eggs, chicken salad, tuna melts--and that is it.  I plan to do a chicken stir fry but had to buy olive oil, rice, and soy sauce--just for one meal.  Those items will travel well enough to bring them back to Princeton with us.  

Mercado Stripes
(Sloan)
I played the church organ once and really don't have a strong desire to try to do it again.  That is one more thing in my life that is coming to an end.  I visited the Snite Museum this past week and enjoyed seeing some of my favorite works and was reminded of the stories I told the third graders when I was a docent there.  I hope to return to museum visits in Princeton and even in New York City but I have no desire to be a docent again.  Another chapter is closed in life.  I pulled books off the shelves at the Francis Branch Library and even downloaded an ebook thanks to the fact that my St. Joseph Library card was still valid.  I loved that library but I like the Princeton Library too and don't see myself as a volunteer again.  My short stint at the Plainsboro Library as a volunteer was back breaking literally so that is another door closed.  
Taos Skies (Huggin)


We worshipped at Church of the Savior this morning again and will have one more opportunity to do so next week.  I looked at the worship bulletin for Nassau Presbyterian Church this morning and thought that maybe it was a sign that I was thinking of that church as "our church" too.  But at CotS we know everyone and if we don't know someone, we are pretty sure they are visitors and should be greeted and welcomed.  That feeling of belonging is not the primary reason to worship, but it is a joy and may never be possible in a big church like Nassau Church--and one where we will never be as involved in music or leadership.  However Jim is teaching an adult class in late October so more folks will know him.  

I will be happy to be in our Barclay Square apartment again.  I will revel in two bathrooms with one very pleasant shower with room for my personal items next to the sink. I will be happy to use the sink without feeling like I need to put the top down on the toilet lest I drop something in it!  There will be counter space in the kitchen and storage space for food in the cupboards.  It will be great to see the sporting events Jim likes on a larger TV.  I will be glad to get the exercise we get going up the 14 steps to our second floor apartment and our daily walking to get the mail or to get rid of the garbage or recyclables.  

Yesterday's email brought an opportunity to make an appointment for the Covid booster shots very near our home in New Jersey.  The slots available were before October 11 when we will be at home and free to sign up.  So I will wait a few days to peruse the site.  However, it is encouraging that it may be easier this time around to get an appointment and to hope that we can continue to feel safer in our area.  

This post is a recording for our memories of this time.  We don't regret making the effort to be here.  Jim's class has gone well and the students have been very appreciative of his being here.  He is beginning to get the usual requests for recommendations which have always been a part of his work and it is affirming that his name and good word mean something to others in his profession. 

My sister wondered when we would ever see each other again.  Jim's siblings expressed gratitude to me for initiating our meeting for dinner.  It's a long trip to Princeton so it is very good that we were able to make those visits when we were all in good health.  

I think this blog post shows that I am anticipating a return to what has become home for us in Princeton. We are thankful to be closer to our children and grandchildren and thankful for a very comfortable place to live without the concerns of home ownership.  

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog posts...always feel like we are sharing tea and you are updating me on how you and Jim are. It has been wonderful to see you here in SB. Thankful for cell phones and email so we can stay in touch when you return home. Nancy

    ReplyDelete