Friday, October 1, 2021

Two Grottos


Yesterday Jim and I parked the car in the Libary Lot under a #5 lamp post.  There were very few places open; that made it easier to find later.  I walked to the Grotto for the second time during our weeks in South Bend.  The first time was the Sunday after a home game when many candles were lit and it was hard to find one to light and to find a place to secure it.  This time a few days before a home game, there were plenty available.  As always, there are some others kneeling in prayer and this time a military group was setting up for a service.

I have found a "grotto" in Princeton too.  There is a place along the Delaware and Raritan Canal path where someone has put a madonna in the rocks.  There are no candles to light but there are benches where one can sit and meditate while looking at the canal.  It is a lovely spot although lately it has been a bit overgrown and I fear poison ivy.  Just this week a young woman on the path was kidnapped and assaulted so I may be hesitant to go that way alone again.  Admittedly, a young woman is more vulnerable than a whilte-haired woman of my age.  

I know one can pray anywhere and I do but it is good to have a special destination for prayer.  I have lit candles at the Notre Dame grotto many times over the years.  The price has gone up a bit.  I say lots of prayers so my $3 could be considered a bargain!  I remember well the first time I prayed at the ND Grotto when we were despairing about our children's school situations when we first moved here.  I looked up at the statue of Mary and said to her, "You are a mother too.  You know how I feel."   Was that a prayer from this Protestant to Mary?  Maybe it was.  At least I was talking to her.  

In one more week we will be on the road heading home to Princeton.  I am ready to go.  We have the atmosphere of one more home football game to enjoy. We can worship at Church of the Savior one more time.  We have three more dinners next week  with friends.  Jim has two more golf matches scheduled.  He will teach two more classes although at this point, his students are presenting their own work.

We will look back on these weeks with some fond memories and other memories that will make us chuckle.  Just yesterday I tried cleaning the very slow coffee pot with vinegar purchased at Dollar Tree.  Yes, they even had apple cider vinegar!  Today, Jim bought us Starbucks coffee for breakfast and it was great.  I guess he gave up on the 20 minute brew.  

Maybe the next blog will be posted from Princeton.  I am almost hesitant to write that because it would be good if the coming week is routine and goes by quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment