Thursday, April 7, 2022

Four Hand Piano

 

Many, many years ago a high school friend and I played four hand piano duets for judging at our local Solo and Ensemble Festivals.  My memory is weak but I know at least one time we received a First rating that enabled us to go on to the State Festival.  As it happened, our high school basketball team played in the state finals on the same Saturday as the music festival.  Did I remember to thank my dad enough as he drove us to East Lansing, Michigan for the game and then on to Kalamazoo, Michigan for the piano judging?  We were very sad at our team's loss and I remember the judge saying that we played the melancholy folk song so well but we were like a different twosome on the bouncier, happier one. I think she compromised on a Second place rating.  

All of this is coming back to me because a few weeks ago I dreamt I was playing piano duets with a young man who leads our Lenten Bible Study.  He is a very accomplished pianist and a piano teacher in the New School in Kingston. (founded by Frances Clark, well known in piano pedagogy)  I told him of my dream and he was willing to give it a try to make my dream come true!  I found the music and he prepared his part as I had tried to get my part under my fingers again.  

Tuesday evening, we got to our meeting early and he and I read through "Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier" one of Four Fantasies on American Folk Songs by Douglas Townsend.  What fun!  We stumbled a bit but we ended together in triumph!  He had another piece for us to read through--fortunately for me, an easier sight read and it was quite lovely.  The piano teacher in him at one point complimented me on my phrasing!  I am sure I had a big smile at that kind comment. 

My duet partner emailed me the next day to say that we should do it again.  So I am motivated to try another one of the "Fantasies."  I am so thankful to have my little digital piano which surprises me with its sound and its response to my touch.  And of course, it will never go out of tune and if we move from here, even if I have to move into assisted living, it can go with me easily enough.  

1 comment:

  1. As always, your words make me feel a part of your joy.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete