Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Peace and Quiet



Barclay Square is in the middle of a roofing project.  This week it is the turn of Building 5, our building.  It is noisy.  It is incredibly noisy and that is probably accentuated by being in a second floor apartment.  We had a key to Jeff and Susan's house and I asked if I could crash there for some of the time this week.  I made it through the first two days when the roofers were mostly at the far end of our building.   But today at 7:57 am the banging started overhead as they stripped the old shingles off.  Our doors were covered with tarp and so were the windows.  We had already moved our plants and deck chair to safety.

Jim is able to block out the noise as he keeps working on his projects.  I am not able to do so and thus am so happy to be sitting quietly in Jeff and Susan's living room.  I have books and I can still get wifi here from past visits.  I just sat on their deck for a bit to get my daily Vitamin D--impossible to do at our place yesterday with workmen all around us.  I have brought along a lunch although they offered me some options from their freezer.  I have checked their crockpot for them and will follow instructions of turning it to high later in the afternoon.  

Jim will golf this afternoon so he will be gone anyway.  It's a long day to be away from home but I am thinking it is better than tolerating the pounding.  It will only get worse when they install the new shingles.  I hope today is the worst of it because they were right overhead this morning.  They finish up for the day by 5:00 or so.  

We had to park our car away from our garage this week because access was unavailable with shingles waiting to be cleared away.  That is not a major problem because there are visitors' parking places around the complex.  

I am glad we are not paying for a new roof although I guess we are paying for it with our rent increase.  If it were a single family dwelling the noise would not be going on all week--and even for weeks when there are sounds from Building 4 and Building 6 which are just not as bad when they are not directly overhead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment