Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Adventures with Technology

 I had been having issues with my laptop telling me that my connection to wifi was weak and even buffering at times once I was connected.  If I went into Jim's study, the problem was solved so clearly getting closer to the router was the answer.

But the problem was exasperated when we had continual buffering trying to watch NFL on Thursday evenings on Amazon Prime Video on our living room TV.

So we made an appointment using our xfinity app and met with a young man at the xfinity store at Mercer Mall last Friday.  He gave us a new router with more speed (and only $3 a month more) and a new box for the bedroom TV.  He sent us off with what we consider scary words, "It's very easy to hook them up."  

Jim began the process and almost immediately I lost all wifi connections.  The "vanderkam" option was gone. I felt lost without my connection to the world out there! It was almost a panicky feeling! 

 As it turned out, something got unplugged accidentally.  Jim patiently worked on setting up the new router.  When it asked for a cord that we didn't have, he boldly skipped that step.  And...amazingly the connection worked and my laptop is connecting far better even in the room far from the router.  Now the test will be Thursday evening.  Can we watch the big game without the buffering?

Jim also hooked up the new box and remote in the bedroom so we can get more channels there.  And that too is working just fine! 

I give my husband a great deal of credit for staying patient and following directions.  I give xfinity credit for good instructions for the most part.  

October 29:  Thursday night football was still buffering.  We watched on Jim's laptop instead of our large TV.  Susan suggested a firestick.  Maybe that will be our next step.  

Meanwhile Susan helped Jim set up Adobe Acrobat Reader because Oxford University Press said that is what he has to use to look at the page proofs of his R H Charles manuscript.  She skillfully downloaded it and gave him instructions in how to use it.  To be continued...!  

No comments:

Post a Comment