Saturday, February 4, 2023

A Week at Home

 

I have written about Jim's RH Charles volume arriving at our door when we returned home a week ago.  However, my published book arrived too--a few days later.  This would be my Blog2Print book, my yearly project for January in which my blogs of the previous year are gathered together and for about $40 or so. we have a record of our lives.  I am always gratified to see how much Jim enjoys looking over the book but I say it is because he is a very important person in it--and in fact I usually "dedicate" the book to my partner of 55 years.

We have no immediate plans to go anywhere for a while.  We went out to eat once this week to On the Border where we sit in the bar for happy hour rates and have margaritas that are just as good as those in St. Pete Beach--but the view is not as good! 

 The less pleasant part of getting home is that we both had medical and dental appointments this week which accumulate after the holidays and a two week trip away from home.  But all appointments were routine and there is no need for any follow up appointments for which we are grateful.

Today is Saturday and we definitely follow a Saturday routine.  We drive about four miles into Princeton and almost always have three stops to make.  One of us usually has a prescription to pick up at CVS.  Today's charge was $0 for what must be a common generic drug.  We do our weekly grocery shop at McCaffrey's which has become a very familiar place for us.  The big change is using the self checkout lanes which means we no longer have to wait in line for a clerk to be available.  We have had a few senior moments recently which I will record.  One week we forgot to pay for the 24 pack of water and noticed it at the bottom of our shopping cart when we got to the car.  We went back into the store to take care of that matter.  Another week we paid for the water and forgot to take it out of our shopping cart in the parking lot. We noticed our lapse when we were almost home and did not go back that time. Our third Saturday stop is usually the Princeton Library where Jim parks at the entrance and I go in to get my requested books or find a few other volumes.  I left today with four books and always wonder how many of them I will actually read.  We don't actually live within the borough of Princeton so I have to pay a senior fee of $75  which I consider money well spent.  

The rest of the day is spent on laundry and today, trying a new recipe for sweet potato shepherd's pie.  I do not enjoy cooking but I do enjoy eating so we shall see what we think of what should be a pretty healthy meal--and should be good for at least two meals.  Plus there are several college basketball games to watch and maybe some pro games.  I was very happy to hear from my sister who had surgery for a broken wrist on Thursday but is doing well except for trying to get along with a hand in a cast.  Putting in earrings?  Fixing meals?  Dressing in anything except large sweaters and sweat pants?  She has been through quite an ordeal (after a fall on ice) and it is not over with an uncomfortable cast for at least another two weeks.

Our time in St Pete Beach was a pleasant change of scenery--beautiful scenery- but we are thankful that we are happy with our lives and our routines here in Princeton and are glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment