Thursday, May 18, 2023

Help! My laptop died!

 Last night my laptop went dark.  I plugged it in but it would not open up.  We made a couple of calls in the morning and Ted of Princeton Computer Repair Service just left with my laptop.  Apparently there is a home call option because he picked up my precious ASUS laptop and will get back to us in 24 hours.  $105.  It was worth every bit of it because I feel someone gave me advice and reassurance. I may need a new one which is fine.  It is as if a part of my body is missing.  And it is so confusing.  But I had the correct password for gmail and Google so that was good.  

As Ted said, it is all there on the cloud!   So I am using Jim's laptop and happy to have found my blog.  I guess my precious journals (therapy journal and spiritual journal) are not lost.  My therapist is still available to me!    

---------Ted texted to say that they are going to be able to "restore your Chromebook and not lose any of your browser bookmarks either."  He also asked if I wanted to have a tutoring session.  I told him OK.  At least he can help me change passwords and know what to do if it happens again.  It may be time for a new laptop which is fine.  

I now know that I can do my journals and this blog on Jim's computer.  I can access the library site.  I can shop with Amazon.  So that is all a relief.  Things are not lost.  

Restoring my bookmarks--that is great.  I feel as if I am lost in a neighborhood on another computer when I know my way around my own.  I can find photos and websites and so much is already password protected like doctor's portals.  I am aware of how often I aimlessly pick up my laptop or phone and look for contact with others via email or Facebook.  At least my phone was still available all day.  

I was upset last night and frustrated.  Tonight I am still a bit stressed but grateful to have found someone to help me solve this situation.  I hope my next update is an all clear and written from my own little Asus Chromebook. 

------------Ted just left.  After years of tutoring as an occupation, I was the tutee not the tutor.  I was intimidated not wanting to feel like a Luddite.  He gave me high fives several times and said that because I was quiet, he thought I was a "neophyte" but when I showed him my process for cleaning out my inbox, he was impressed and said I had used a good five clicks!  Sure.  My laptop is so familiar to me and it is so good to have it back.  The one change he made was to enlarge my cursor whiich is probably good. I decided not to switch to a mouse but just use my touch pad--and not make too many changes in my life!  I definitely learned how to preserve battery life in a way that I had not been doing.  Hooray for Princeeton Computer Repair and Tutoring and for Ted!  Now I need to write a good review for him online.  

---------the saga continues.  The laptop is dying again!  Ted has ordered a new battery-not expensive at all--and says there will be no charge to install it.  His first source for the battery was China with a two-three month wait.  His second try was a place that will deliver next week.  So that is the plan for now.  It is frustrating but I am telling myself it is a small issue compared to Covid or cancer or anything else health related.  Meanwhile I have learned to use Jim's laptop--which I am doing right now.  So I can blog, I can journal, I can find books to read.  And I have my phone for email and Facebook.  And if this doesn't work, I am going to get a new Chromebook and start over.  

--------and it continues on May 23.  I thought Ted ordered another battery; he thought I ordered it.  He sent me several links a bit ago and I was totally confused.  I am waiting to hear from him hoping he will order the right thing.  But this means I will not get my Chromebook back for another two weeks maybe.  Fortunately I am learning to use Jim's laptop and I just accessed my portal from Women's Healthcare of Princeton with a new password.   I feel frustrated and confused but this is not crucial to my life.  I am so glad I can use Jim's machine for my blog and my journals and most of what I want to access.  

---------and today's update on May 24.  I asked Ted via text if I should just buy a new Chromebook.  He thought that was for the best because there might be some other issue making my batteries die.  He sent me a link to an ASUS Chromebook on Amazon and I ordered it.  It should arrive on May 26.  He thought I would be OK setting it up.  We shall see!  I told him I would do a review for him on Yelp and so I did!  I hope the next update is from my own laptop!  

NYT on laptop again!
May 26  I am writing from my new ASUS Chromebook and I am very pleased!  All my bookmarks are there.  I can access everything.  It was tense while waiting for the applications to be downloaded but slowly on there was 1 out of 6, 3 out of 6 and then all of them.  Then the wifi was not working but it is stronger in Jim's study so that is where I am.  Then I needed a pass code for my hotmail but I have it--and had to find my password for Facebook but I found it.  I need to text Ted.  He will be pleased.  I wouldn't have asked him for help this weekend anyway because he mentioned more than once that the Indy500 was his priority for this weekend!  Hooray! 





No comments:

Post a Comment