Monday, April 22, 2024

A Birthday Celebration

 Last week was one of two important doctors' appointments for Jim.  Because this blog is primarily created for our own memories, I will mention our relief in that both went well and Jim got good news twice.  We are grateful and don't take such news for granted at our age! 

Yesterday was my birthday.  Laura and Michael sent a beautiful bouquet that arrived on Saturday in time for me to enjoy it for a day.  Jeff and Susan picked us up on Sunday morning and we headed to James'apartment near Baltimore, Maryland.  It was fun to see his studio apartment with a great view from the 9th floor.  We had a substantial brunch at a nearby hotel and then headed on to Washington DC.  Jeff and Susan warned us that the next few miles into the city were often congested with traffic and so they were--even on a Sunday afternoon.  

We checked into the Courtyard by Marriot Bonvoy hotel right next to the George Washington University campus. Around  4:30 we left for the Lisner  Auditorium where Michael was playing his trombone with the GW wind ensemble.  The concert was the final one for the graduating seniors so they were each mentioned by name with their majors and their plans.  Two more years and Michael should be one of them!  It was a lively concert with contemporary music.     

We drove into Arlington, Virginia--our fourth state for the day plus the District of Columbia.  We ate at an Outback Steakhouse and dined well.  Jim and I were thankful that Susan was driving and we did not have to negotiate traffic or routes.  

It was a typical restless first night in a motel for me but we were ready by 9 am to have Jeff drop Susan and Jim and me off at Founding Farmer's Restaurant for another brunch.  Jeff went on to work--a video conference at Fort Meade--in which he has to participate in person because of the security demanded in his work.  Afterwards. the three of us at my suggestion walked to the White House but we could not get much of a glimpse of it through the trees.  It was a good long walk for me with my cane but I made it with a couple of sit-downs.

A bit more about my birthday.  Jeff and Susan made a framed portrait commemorating the eclipse event of last weekend and gave it to me.  Dan and Alex called.  My sister and a few friends sent emails.  I felt celebrated!  Jim and I will celebrate together when we get home--an ice cream cake is a traditional treat. So it was an unusual birthday and a good one!

1 comment: