Sunday, April 28, 2024

Going to Church This Morning

 

I will praise you, Lord,  in the assembly of your people. Psalm 22: 26a

This was the phrase from the lectionary I chose this afternoon for my lectio divina.  It was especially appropriate for today and I will meditate on it again briefly before bedtime.

It is easier to stay home on Sunday mornings and do Livestream worship.  Last week we were on the road with Jeff and Susan heading to DC so we were not at Nassau Church.  But this week we needed to be back in the pews.

Jim dropped me off in front of church so I didn't have to make the trek from the municipal parking garage. I made the much shorter walk without my cane or Jim's arm.  I found a seat in the sanctuary and Jim was next to me before the service started.

I am always happy to sing with the congregation--not alone with the recorded service.  Our associate pastor Lauren McFeaters had a powerful sermon about God's love and our love.  It is clear that her week involves needy parishioners--and I too have asked her for counsel on occasion.

But it was after church that I was reminded that we have become a part of a fellowship.  We chatted with our long-time friends, the Moorheads.  Our lead pastor Dr. Davis came up to bring greetings from Neal Plantinga with whom he had spent time at a preaching conference at Calvin College.  He had a couple of stories to relate, one of which included my emailing Neal to suggest he listen to Dr. Davis's sermon when he had quoted Neal's book on Gratitude. He gave me credit for Neal's saying in the presence of other pastors that his were the podcasts he listened to--I know he felt affirmed and I felt I had a part in that!

And then there is little Kingsley whose toddler smiles welcome us each week--the smiles we would never enjoy via Livestream!  And pastor Lauren greeted me with a hug on our way out of church. 

We are no longer strangers in a big church.  Jim and I have put out an effort to meet people by joining small groups several times and even leading small groups twice.  I have tried to thank musicians and pastors by emails when something has particularly touched my heart and life. 

We miss our church in South Bend where we knew everyone and were very involved in worship and the lives of many there.  But we are thankful to be a part of the "assembly of your people" here too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment