Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The Joy of Laundry, Supper, Facebook, Emails, Agatha Christie, etc.

I have not put makeup on for twelve days since I went to the Women's Bible Study at Kingston Prebyterian Church.   I have not seen anyone except Jim and my walking friend Peggy since then--except for Facetime with our kids and an attempt at Zoom with the church choir. 

Jim has his RH Charles biography project to work on with new material sent him from his Oxford contact Lizzy.  He also has a couple of other writing projects and then there is his daily trip to UCA for radiation.  I don't envy him his projects or his radiation but I could use some projects of my own.

So my days are one of little accomplishments but I need to be satisfied with that for now.   I do some laundry daily--and am thankful for a washer and dryer in our apartment.   I make simple meals--fruit salad and a sandwich for lunch, and tonight sausage, egg, and cheese on English muffins fo supper with roasted asparagus for a veggie.  .

We decided we didn't need any food or wine yet today so maybe tomorrow I will ride along with Jim to UCA and then stop at Trader Joe's on the way home.  Best to avoid any contact with others right now.  We are not stock-piling food.

After Jim leaves on his daily radiation trip, I put on the gas fire and read and close my eyes for a bit trying to do some mindfulness which mostly is breathing in a prayer for healing and breathing out my fears.  I could join the Grace Notes Choir for a Zoom session this afternoon but chose not to--feeling like I am letting our dear director Noel down but also that it is awkward for me when I know so few people in the choir. 

I rely on Facebook for social contact with old friends--and emails.   We have had long and lovely emails from at least three or four folks in the last 24 hours and that is much appreciated.  I send out emails also--and in some cases, instigated the correspondance. There are many folks who are anxious or sick or bereaved and all are isolated to a certain degree right now.

So now, it's back to my Agatha Christie book on my iphone--not an ideal way to read but the libraries are closed.   So it is a way of escape.  When Jim comes home, we will walk to get the mail and then have a glass of wine with our laptops open to the NYT crossword puzzle for which we make a good team of "solvers." 

Spring is coming and there are flowering trees (even one out our living room window) and daffodils (at our front door) and pansies (on our deck in a pot.)  Jim has under 20 radiation treatments left and the hormone shot he had this week should be for one month not three like last time.  April 16 is his last treatment.  So maybe by May we can celebrate the end of treatments and hope for healing and no reoccurence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment